Thursday, January 28, 2010

question/answer

Question:

Hi there, I have kind of a strange question for you, I have broken my back 10months ago, and just got cleared by the Dr to work out and try to gain some of my weight back that I had lost, I had competed in JR bodybuilding when I was 16 & 17 in Edmonton, AB, Muscle beach classic....my issue then and still is now no matter what I do I cant put any type of weight on!!! I weighed 158lbs this time last year @ 4% body fat! I am now down to 109lbs, and have been able to walk for just over a month now!!! I race quads & ski-doos ( which I am told I should not do anymore ) and my first race will be in 6 months time!!! Do you have any NATURAL sugestions on what I can do??? Any help or advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks for your time,


-T-


Hi T,

First of all; I am so happy that you are back on your feet !
I can't imagine all that you must have been through.. And congrats with your achievement in bb ! =)
Then; you probably know better than anyone, that having a serious back injury, it is not something that is what one want.... If your doctor say that you should not race anymore, you should listen to that advice, and not risk anything too early..
It takes time to build a strong back, and after 9-10 months without being able to walk, you have to start pretty much "all over again". But you will progress much faster, if you compare with another person with the same injurie but different athletic background.

So please, please do not take any risks. it is not worth it.. I know, because my father have severe back injuries.

Back to your question:

To break it down as simply as possible;
When it comes to gaining some weight, it is all about calorie intake.
You MUST eat MORE calories than what your body need for energy and all other processes.
That is not enough.. It sholuld be clean, nutritious, balanced and healthy foods, divided into frequent meals through the day.
Sounds easy... but for someone that have a hard time gaining weight it is often hard to get down such an amount of food..

The solution can be as easy as drinking a weight-gainer shake after every meal you eat. Easy, fast .. and many find it better to get the extra calorie intake from drinking shakes rather than eating solid foods. If you feel to full, to be able to drink one right after eating; then spread them. Drink one shake between every meal. Sip on it, but get it down!

Add more healthy fats from nuts, avocado, salmon etc. Take a spoon (or capsules) or two two with omega 3-6-9 to with every meal.

You gotta eat, eat, eat..

Start using creatine and glutamine.
Other supplements I LOVE & RECOMMEND;
(they actually WORK !)

http://www.bodysupport.com
http://alrindustries.com/ver2/index.php/products/size-a-strength.html

Train hard, but it is very important to get enough rest and sleep!
If possible, take a nap during the day as well.

I would also recommend that you go to your doctor and take some blood tests.
Check your tyroksine/thyroid levels and all other hormone levels.
Check your mineral balance and so on.. your doc know what he will need to check.
Vitamine B complex injection shots might be helpful. To increase apetite and help gaining weight.

Hope some of this was helpful.



-P-

No comments: